My favorite plus size line strikes again! This Pleather Peplum Top from Ashley Stewart came in handy for my New Year’s Eve look. I was looking for something sexy but functional because I really needed something I could take on the night in, since I would be on the go all night long. I love how seamless the mesh is, the quality feels so great against my skin. The pleather is extremely forgiving like the red skirt I showcased last week. I thought, why not spice up the look with my favorite cat ears, after all New Year’s Eve is all about having fun and enjoying life. Enjoy your night lovers, be safe! See you in 2015 … and there will be a lot more from Ashley Stewart’s winter collection in the new year!
- Peplum Top – Ashley Stewart
- Cat Ears – H&M
- Liquid Leggings – Express
- Booties – Target
- Lipgloss – Shea Moisture
What a year! 2014 was a stern teacher, and I took excellent notes! I’ve learned so many life lessons this year … I’ve had so many immeasurable moments in which I both, failed and succeeded. I’m so thankful for the growth of my career and personal life. Life has truly taught me so much within these past 12 months, and I want to share the lessons I’ve learned.
- To Whom Much Is Given, Much Is Required. While I’m a firm believer in “you have not because you ask not,” I also quickly learned to be careful what you ask for because it just may happen; and when it happens … be ready to work your butt off! I prayed for growth in my career this year and when God answered, He answered with endless opportunities that required a lot of work. I had to learn that because I asked for it, it would require all of me. So I couldn’t half step with my work ethic.
- Let Go Of Those Who Don’t Elevate You. This year I went on a people-cleanse and removed those whom I felt weren’t elevating me from my life. I know it sounds harsh, but if the people you are surrounded by don’t challenge you or make you want more… then you should let them go. You don’t have to be mean and dismiss people, just simply stop coming around, they will notice, and there won’t be any love lost. Being a dream chaser is a full time job, and you have time for any additional set backs … If you’re chasing dreams then you should only surround yourself with other dream chasers. The saying, “you are the company you keep,” is so true in this case.
- The Only Thing Standing Between You & Opportunity, Is You. The beginning of 2014 was the one of the first times I truly worked for myself without doing other “side hustles.” I would often contemplate taking on new opportunities because I was afraid I would fail, or I was terrified of being told “no.” I had to teach myself that the only thing standing in my way, was me. I realized that the worst thing I could hear was “NO,” and if someone told me no… it wasn’t the end of the world. It just meant I needed to go back to the drawing board and find a new route.
- The Mind Is One Heck Of A Muscle. Our minds are so powerful … use it to your advantage. Speak things that are not as though they were, and watch your situation start changing. Remember, everything is connected. So if you start speaking, it will happen. But remember, point #1 … if you ask for it, be ready to work for it! 🙂
- You Can Get Money Back, You Can’t Get Time Back. I remember my Freshman year of college, my brother said something to me that I’ve always kept and applied to life. Like every other Freshman, my first year of college was filled with skipped classes, missed assignments and a lot of slacking off. My brother straightened me right up after my first semester of school, and it was simply because he was telling the truth. He told me … “You know what, Triena … you can drop all the classes you want … you can skip all the assignments there are, because truthfully … you can waste money, because you can get money back. Money comes and money goes … but you can’t afford to waste time; because you can’t get time back.” From that moment forward I’ve valued time, and I’ve always taken full advantage of the time that I have been given. From that moment in my freshman year of college when my brother checked me to now, I’ve always valued time. In any opportunity I try to maximize the amount of time I am given.
- Invest In Yourself. There’s no one more important in your life than you. Even if you’re a giver, and put other’s before you. Investing in yourself is one of the most important things you will ever do, because if you don’t take care of yourself, you won’t be around to take care of those who matter most to you.
- Finding Your Purpose Is An Ongoing Journey. It’s okay to not know everything. You aren’t suppose to know all the answers. Life is about connecting the dots so that you can figure out what and who you are. Try something new, if it’s for you then keep going in that direction, if it’s not then start over. Don’t get caught up in your age, or obligations, there are no excuses when it comes to purpose seeking! Your purpose usually lies within the things you enjoy doing, so start there.
- Praise Your Successes, But Don’t Get Caught Up In Them. We often forget to pat ourselves on the back, and truthfully we deserve to be noticed. A lot of us get so caught up in completing long term goals that we don’t see the smaller things we’ve succeeded or accomplished in until they have passed us by. So it’s okay to stop what you’re doing and evaluate yourself. Praise yourself in the things you’ve successfully done; but work hard to not get caught up in success …because you still have work to do.
- Make Time To Live A Simple Life. Social media and technology have ruined us! We can’t live without snapping pictures or catching video with hopes that they go viral. I work in the wonderful world of social media, but I have learned there has to be an off-button in order to remain balanced, because you can easily get consumed in the hype. Make time, little by little, to let go of all the tech savvy things we have going on in our lives, and live simply by just being in the moment. Try not to capture a moment with your camera and just enjoy what is going on around you … it’s so refreshing.
- Friends Are Seasonal, It’s Okay To Move On. At the beginning of 2014 I broke up with one of my closest friends, a friend I had since Kindergarden. Actually, she was more like my sister than a friend; and it hurt, it hurt really bad. I realized, a lot of our friendship in our ladder years was merely because we were just use to being friends because we had been friends for so long! But we had no substance. There was nothing nurturing about our friendship; in fact, it was very toxic. So I let go … I let go of a 22-year friendship, with one of the most important people in my life. And I must say, it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. If I can let go of someone that important to me, you can too… if you’re in dead relationships, let them go. Free yourself!
- Just Before You Give Up, Try To Keep Going. I always tell people, the moment you give up is usually the moment just before something amazing happens. So before you throw in the towel, push on just a little longer … I bet you’ll be glad you didn’t quit.
- There’s A Lesson In Failure. Failure is one of our best teachers and we should be thankful for it; because truthfully nothing magical happens in success. Success is really just a stamp of approval, or that big shiny gold sticker you get when you do something right … but you don’t learn anything from it. You learn from your mistakes, your mistakes help you succeed. You are made in your failures… Don’t be afraid of it. Fail, and try again, fail, and try again … keep failing until you succeed. Like the saying, “Fall 7 times, Stand up 8.”
- Forgiveness Is A Gift To Yourself. I had to learn the power of forgiveness; not for the person who hurt me, but for my own sanity because I owed myself that reward. “Forgiveness is me giving up my right to hurt you for hurting me. Forgiveness is the final act of love.” – Beyonce
- Just Keep Going! It gets hard, it gets hectic, it gets crazy … and sometimes we lose ourself; but this thing called life is an amazing journey of self-taught lessons and endless adventures … create a life you love, despite your circumstances. You can do it, I believe in you!
So 2015 … I’m ready to kick some butt! Here’s to an amazing year full of prosperity, good health, manifestation, adventure, love, light and laughter!